Monday, January 15, 2007

Overcoming the Fumes

Overcoming the Fumes

Howdy Comrades!
I finally heard from Cap Metro concerning my questions about the voucher program, but I still have not been given any real answers.  My request for information has been referred to the Legal Department.  
I expect Cap Metro to comply with all aspects of the compromise agreement with the ATC/NFB-T and other blind STS users who joined the settlement resulting from my successful complaint to UMPTA that challenged the trip restrictions and trip priorities with respect to the Taxi voucher contract.  This means that we have the absolute right to use vouchers for vetinary trips relating to the use of dog guides.  Furthermore, we have the right to change vouchers that have been already approved as long as the cost does not exceed the first voucher.  
I may be willing to further compromise in terms of the time frame in which vouchers may be changed or edited.  Our original agreement was that we could change the vouchers as late as one hour prior to calling the taxi.  We may agree to
A one day notice with exceptions for medical emergencies.  Moreover, I feel that Cap Metro has acted in bad faith by offering policy changes to citizens at public hearings, and when these were overwhelmingly rejected during the ADA required process, Metro officials moved to accomplish these policy Changes by administrative fiat.  As the designated Cap Metro rep for the ATC of the NFB-T, I can say that this is not acceptable to the blind community in Austin.  If the MTA persists in making illegal administrative changes, I will seek to have all trip priorities and trip restrictions eliminated.
I was told, much to my amazement, that the "fraud" in the voucher program actually exceeds the $250,000. Figure that was previously acknowledge by Cap Metro staff.   I was told that the "fraud" is pervasive.  I asked if the fraud was related to passengers changing their vouchers as had been customary in the past, and I was told that this was not considered fraud.  Staff stated that other STS passengers who are not blind have been selling their unused cab vouchers for half the price of the trip.  My Response is that the fraud should be addressed; real fraudster should be prosecuted, but blind STS users should not have their transportation disrupted because the MTA failed to establish proper auditing procedures in the past.  Frankly, I’m appalled that Cap Metro, the sole instrumentality charged with providing efficient and accessible public transportation, the collector of millions in local taxes and Federal funds could be so incompetent.  How can we trust Cap Metro to build and manage the new light rail service if they can’t figure out how to provide cab subsidies to blind STS users?  After all, the MTA in Houston has provided cab subsideies   to far more passengers with no trip restrictions, no intrusive trip priorities and with little if any fraud.  That program seems to be both efficient and fiscally transparent.  
Comrades, we must recall the struggles led by Martin Luther King, whose birthday the nation celebrates today.  Dr. King taught us to challenge the status quo, to seek justice and equality for all.  His dream began in Montgomery Alabama in a fume of buses.  Let us bring the same resolve to fight this matter in his honor.
(To be continued)
Regards,
Chairman Mal: Power to the Peeps!
Afterward:  I’ve been asked to post fixed route and STS “horror stories” by blind people who say that their complaints have been ignored.  Bring them on!  I do, however, reserve the right to decline objectionable posts, and I may ask for clarification if your narrative seems unclear to me.  CM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to these meeting and had no help from Cap Metro. They want me to ride the buses. My mobility teacher tried and says I can’t cross Congress at the bus stop for my house. I Could lose my job over this, but Cap Metro won’t care. They want what they want and don’t want sts. I am afraid I will be in Assisted Living. RF

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! When Cap Metro staff spoke to the NFB Chapter, they said there would not be any big changes to STS, and they would make sure blind people who use fixed route buses are involved more in the future. A problem I spoke about is that some bus drivers refuse to let me pay the bus fare. A special ID with an RFID tag will be required for blind bus passengers to ride without charge. Our NFB Chapter policy is that we want to pay the same fare as other passengers. Of course, some of our members on SSI can’t afford this, but my point is that Metro said bus drivers are trained to accept payment without question. Last week, I took the #15 Red River bus and paid the fare on the outbound trip. I simply informed the driver that I believe in paying for my ride. On the way home, however, the driver would not let me pay. He said he could not allow me to pay and placed his hand over the till to prevent me from inserting the money. Ultimately, I just put the money on his hand and told him to put it in the till for me. This should not be happening. When I made a complaint to Metro, I was told that the driver was just trying to help me. What should I do about this? I hate causing a scene. --Uneasy Rider

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve driven cabs in Austin for many years and helped a lot of STS riders, blind, elderly and people in wheel chairs. I may stop taking the vouchers because Cap Metro makes it so hard for me to get paid. I don’t mind the extra work helping people, but Metro made me do Map Quest on a bunch of trips because they had the wrong mileage. I also took a big hit when I accidentally put PM on several vouchers I accepted in the morning. It was my mistake, but they make mistakes all the time. I can make more money taking trips than doing all the paperwork for Metro. What’s wrong with them? It wasn’t this bad when Jan Johnson ran STS. No wonder they have less cabs willing to do STS.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metro has been giving a person with cancer, high blood pressure, balance problems, and diabetes vouchers to and from doctor's appointments. This is normal for dialysis and seriously ill people. She was told that her file had been changed and she couldn't have the vouchers. She wasn't told who did it or why. I'm on the access committee and they wouldn't let me talk to Ralph. The access committee is a joke. We're there because they legally have to have one, but they aren't listening to customers and tax payers!

JW

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home