Thursday, September 14, 2006

End Stage Left

Howdy Comrades!  My lack of commentary in recent weeks is because of a bout of depression caused, for the most part, by progressive vision loss.  My RP has graduated from Advanced to End Stage, and the changes in my vision can only be described as weird.  I have the rare inverse form of Retinitis Pigmentosa, and what I see is really nothing like the traditional tunnel vision described in the literature.  The iteology of the disease is similar, but different genes are involved.  For most of my life, I have had very little central vision, seeing what I often call an exploding galaxy of light that pinwheels and strobes all the time, even when I close my eyes.  This can be quite disconcerting, but I’ve gotten used to it.  That’s the inverse aspect of my flavor of RP.  Now that I’ve reached end stage, my peripheral vision is failing.  At first, this looked like seeing through a screen door, with little black stitches throughout the peripheral fields.
Those stitches grew into big black bees and now swarm where I used to see.  I see the dark spots as bees because one or both ends will appear to twinkle much like the flapping wings of insects.  Moreover, the spaces between the swarming bees of blindness appear green, and I can no longer discern color without extreme magnification.  I haven’t a clue why I see green, but it does remind me of the green flash reported by observers of the horizon just before darkness falls.  Could I be seeing the nitrogen in the air?  Perhaps I also need a check-up from the neck-up as we say here in Texas!  I hope to post more interesting material now that my little pity party has adjourned.  Regards, chairman mal: Power to the Peeps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home